New Moms Need One-Handed Healthy Snacks
Easy Foods for the Postpartum Mom
New moms get hungry. And fast! As hard as they try, new moms are not jugglers. Those who breastfeed are lucky if they have one hand free. Between baby, breastfeeding and bottle, eating can feel like a monumental task.
Eating healthy, nutritious food is important in the postpartum period for recovery and breastmilk production. New moms also need to eat frequently throughout the day but don’t often have the stamina or time to stand in the kitchen to prepare food that’s good for them. How to reconcile the two?
Bypass the highly processed foods and take a look at these naturally delicious foods. Here is a list of favorite, one-handed, easy, quick, and nutrient-packed snacks ideal for breastfeeding and/or postpartum moms.
1. Hard boiled eggs. Cook a dozen at once so you’ll have one (or more) at the ready all week long.
2. Hummus with fresh vegetables to dip. Traditional veggies are always good - like carrots, peppers, cucumbers, grape tomatoes and celery. Or try something new, like sliced jicama or kohlrabi.
3. Peanut or almond butter on crackers. Whole grain or rice crackers are a tasty combo.
4. Sliced cheese with cut fresh fruit. Grapes, apples, and pears work really well.
5. Cubed tofu with a ready-made peanut sauce or other marinade, to dip.
6. Raw nuts and/or dried fruit. Peanuts, cashews, almonds, walnuts, pistachios, raisins, apricots, cranberries, dried pineapple, chopped dates and figs… Toss together your favorite ones, add some dark chocolate chunks, and enjoy any time.
7. Whole grain toasted bagel or rice cake with your favorite spread or toppings.
8. Banana. With or without peanut butter!
9. Your favorite protein or granola bar.
10. Popcorn. Sprinkle some parmesan or nutritional yeast on top of hot popcorn for a yummy boost.
11. Chickpeas (aka garbanzos). Open a can. Rinse, drain and eat ‘em just like that. Or spread them on a baking sheet, sprinkle a little salt (and a favorite spice, like curry or cumin) and toast them in a 350 degree oven for 20 min. Eat warm or at room temperature. These will also keep in a sealed container for a few days.
New parents have very little time to cook and even less energy to take on the task. But these delicious, one-handed and quick to assemble snacks will tide you over until your next meal. They’re also vegetarian and naturally gluten free (unless you choose otherwise).
Enjoy and be fed!
We just sent you an email. Please click the link in the email to confirm your subscription!